Thursday, June 21, 2007

Not-So Physical Graffiti

Free Photo hosting by PhotoLava.comThe Whites Stripes saved rock n' roll many moons ago, and true rock fans, such as myself, are forever grateful. I've liked them when they were a blues band, a punk band, an arena rock band and a country band. I'm just not so sure that I love them as Led Zeppelin.
Jack White is a genius and he has proven that time and time again. He knows how to write good songs and how to make them sound great. Perhaps that's my problem with The White Stripe's new album, "Icky Thump."
At first glance, "Icky Thump" is full of big riffs and great guitar tones and wacky keyboards--basically, everything you expect from a White Stripes album. But "Physical Graffiti" and "In Through The Out Door," two late period Zeppelin albums, have these things also. Somehow, it just all seems as if I've heard it before.
That's not to say that there aren't some great moments on the record such as "You Don't Know What Love Is" and "300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues." But both are pure Zeppelin.There's even a Celtic acoustic number, "Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn", that comes from the same Scottish Highland stomp of "Friends" from "Led Zeppelin III."
I love The White Stripes; I love the brilliance of "White Blood Cells, and I truly love the beauty of the band's last album, "Get Behind Me Satan." However, "Icky Thump" by know means lives up to their past records and in all actuality, it shouldn't.
My problem with "Icky Thump" is basically this: one of my Swedes ripped me Donnie and Marie's "I'm Leaving It All Up To You" from vinyl to MP3. If I'm going to listen to something familiar, I want to hear that record as it was one of my favorites when I was a child (I LOVE AM Radio rock!). At least that record makes me feel warm and happy.
Truth be known, the best record that I've heard this summer is Porter Wagoner's "Wagonmaster." That, is what "Icky Thump" can never be: a classic.
But damn, Jack White can really makes those guitars and keyboards sound great and Meg beats the hell out of those drums.

0 comments: