Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I Love LolliLove

Free Photo hosting by PhotoLava.com

Ok, so, LolliLove came out in 2004 and I just now saw it, but let's just say that it never showed at the big whoopity-doo theater in Tupelo, MS. However, it has lost none of its punch nor snarkiness over the past three years.

The film, co-written and directed by Jenna Fischer, stars Fischer and her real-life husband, James Gunn as real-life couple Jenna and James Gunn, who are on a mission to help the homeless--one lollipop at a time. Shot as a documentary, LolliLove skewers non-profits, celebrity philanthropy and America's attitude towards the less-fortunate. The film focuses on the Gunn Family and their decision to help others, namely the homeless in LA, buy distributing suckers with self-help slogans and Jame's art neatly placed on the wrapper.

Although this may sound far-fetched, believe me, as someone who has worked with and for non-profits and is in the process of doing another benefit (questions? email me at gritsandgreens@gmail.com), it's not--many times, people do not think when it comes to helping others. In a recent conversation regarding a proposed benefit for Habitat For Humanity, my idea was chastised and instead, my efforts "should be put towards the Humane Society." What the f$#@?!! How are these things even remotely related? One houses people and one houses animals---how is this even relevant? Don't get me wrong, I love animals---I love barbecue, bacon, catfish, fried chicken, etc. No, I am compassionate towards animals, but I'm trying to help people get homes. No cause is greater than the other, but my heart is in helping other people---does that make sense?

Many times, especially in Hollywood--and every city that has a life and style section in its newspaper, which translates to everywhere, people do the charity to make the papers, a point that LolliLove drives home in the hilarious third- act of the film, which finds James yelling "These f@#$%ing people!" after an unpleasant run-in with a homeless man. Amazing!!!

Lollilove is a rare piece of art that has way Moore of an impact than more provocative and commercial documentaries floating around Hollywood. Order it from Netflix today.

0 comments: